a life well lived


Monday, November 10, 2014

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E 11/10/00


When I think about going to the various parts of DisneyWorld, I feel
overwhelmed.  It was such a...  well, such a big experience is the best way to express what is in my heart.  I expected to have a really good time, I did not expect to be as moved as I was or feel so at home.

The 10th annual Teddy Bear Convention was taking place in DisneyWorld while we were there.  One evening, Elsa and I headed to the bar in Wilderness Lodge for a nightcap.  As we sat there, talking, with my small black bear, Sasha, with us on the table, an attractive couple who looked to be in their 40s came up.   They asked if we were there for the convention.  It took me a moment to realize that the man was tenderly holding an even smaller bear in his hands.   No, we were not there for the convention, but yes, we were definitely among our own kind. 

I thought that “the happiest place on Earth” was just an advertising slogan.  We learned it was simply the truth.  In the 4+ days we were in DisneyWorld, I did see a single parent snap at a child, nor did I hear a single child whine or complain. 

When I think of the children, I think of the little kids who were having the time of their lives with these water jets that came up through the pavement in one part of Epcot.  I can see the smiles and hear the great hoots of glee - what a treasured memory.  I see the little children gathered around the storyteller in the "England" part of Epcot as he leaned on his staff and spun a tale.  I see the children - and the parents and the grandparents - when they spotted Pluto or Tigger or Donald Duck or the biggest and best of them all - Mickey himself - walking around. 

I was there and Elsa was there, but in my heart so were Mim and Ian, both of whom watched the Mickey Mouse Club back in the 1950s.  Mim was a bit old for that sort of thing, being in her early teens, but she did so much with the "Top Yard" and other neighborhood children, watching it was an extension of her interaction with them.  Yes, both of them were very much with me.

Ever since Pete and I went to England, I dreamed of going there with Elsa.  We might not ever make it across the Atlantic together, but we did make it to the Rose & Crown, a pub that certainly seemed like a bit of transplanted England.  We sat outside and had the jolliest waitress.  We have a picture of her with yours truly, both of us grinning away like mad. 

Elsa and I ordered a “flight” (sampler) of ales along with our ploughman's lunch.  We polished them off between the two of us quite easily.  Time out of time and place out of place. 

What a gal that waitress was - I can't remember which part of England she was from. but the memory of her sets me smiling.  My blessings to her, wherever she may be.

Elsa "blew the wad" by staying at Wilderness Lodge to give me the freedom of staying put where we were - or - adventuring afield.  As you have heard, I definitely went adventuring.  However, if I had to pick my favorite spot in all of DisneyWorld, it would be Wilderness Lodge.  I loved going out onto our balcony and seeing trees stretching out as far as my eyes could see.  I loved sitting in that stunning yet cozy great hall.  I enjoyed the people. 

I loved it when Elsa bought us plastic “travel” coffee mugs that I could refill for free as many times as I liked. 

I loved watching the families walking to and fro, always happy. 

I loved that the staff unobtrusively kept everything spic and span. 

I loved looking up and up and up at carved eagles and bears and
other animals tucked here and there through that magnificent structure. 

I loved the awesome - an understatement - fireplace. 

I loved every nook and cranny of that magical place. 

All I have to do is close my eyes and I am back in its shelter and I am happy and smiling.

This smiling Grammie is heading up the wooden hill, with loving thoughts of DisneyWorld and you to keep me company. 


Nite nite and God bless..




No comments:

Post a Comment