a life well lived


Saturday, June 28, 2014

a very full day 06/28/00


I am a tired lass, a very tired lass.  It has been a full day.


Had a visit this morning from my son, Peter.  It was wonderful - we have not  seen each other since Whitney's wedding in April, so had lots to catch up on - and at the same time stressful. 



It is unfortunate that I usually get quite stressed around my children.  I do not know why that it, but there it is.  What I have to watch out for is my "KRL Death Spiral" - I feel tense in what I think should be a totally happy moment, I get upset at myself for feeling tense and tell myself it is sheer nonsense and everything is really fine, completely ignoring how I actually feel, which only intensifies the tension, and so on and so forth.  It seems so easy to keep forgetting that important things cannot be worked around, they must be worked through.



Do I get tense around Elsa?  I did up to about two years ago, and still do, a bit.  Imagine living with someone who tensed up around you.  Took a lot of work by both of us - and endless patience on John's part - but now we are better at genuinely connecting.  Still a lot of work to do, but at least we are on our way.



One of my bestest buddies is Dr. John Beight, my orthopedic surgeon.  I think I have mentioned before that he is dashing fellow in looks and manner.  He has been wonderful to me.  I had an appointment with him this afternoon to check out my poor old shoulder. 



He asked how I was.  I gave him my standard answer - "I take two pain pills a day.  My spirits are good.  I have a good appetite.  I live with a loving daughter and a loving son-in-law.  Who could ask for more?  It can't get much better than this." 



He gave a slow little smile and said, "You're young."  Surprised, I replied, laughing, “Oh no!  I am old!”  He looked at me, very seriously, and repeated, “No, Mrs. Lockhart, you’re young.”   



Later, as I was getting ready to head out to the waiting room where John was biding his time, Dr. Beight looked at me very seriously and said, "Your son-in-law is a wonderful man.  I saw the way he helped you."  I whole-heartedly agreed!  Then he shook my hand - he has beautiful hands.  I thanked him very much and he graciously replied, "My pleasure" and sounded like he meant it. 



I am so lucky to have association with such a good doctor and gracious man.  What I appreciate most about Dr. Beight is that he is

unusually modest.  He seems totally unconscious of the fact that he is a very handsome man.  He is natural.



When I headed out to meet John, I felt much, much better than when I came in, in part from the cortisone shot in my shoulder but in larger part to the effect of Dr. Beight.



Hope you all are well.  This weary woman is heading to bed. 



Love – Grammie Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment