a life well lived


Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Thanking John 06/04/00


As she does almost every Sunday, Elsa asked me if I wanted to go with her to Contemporary Service.  Whenever she asks - even on a beautiful morning like this one - almost a sense of dread comes over me and I say, "Not this week."    

Why is it I am almost afraid of going?  When it came to going to the service for Star, there was not a hesitant bone in my body. What gives?


After that preamble, let me say that Elsa, as usual, brought home a tape of the service.  Grant Schnarr gave this morning's Contemporary Service, talking about how everything we do, for good and for ill, reverberates through to eternity.  He talked about the importance of making positive ripples that can reach out like the ripples when a pebble is dropped into smooth waters.  He talked about the importance of each of us doing what we can with what we have and the wonders that will happen when we do. like the Lord feeding the great crowd of 5,000 people with what started out as 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes.  Five loaves and two fishes wasn't much, but it was a start and a start is all that is needed, a start with action behind it.



As part of his talk, Grant suggested people take a moment today to thank someone who has made a difference.  I am thanking my son-in-law, John Murphy.



John's clear sight and active support made it possible for Elsa to break free of old patterns hemming her in.  Once she started up a new road, I wanted to come too.  John helped Elsa find new path.  Together, they help me and, they tell me, I help them.



Going one further, I thank all of you for being out there.  Your presence makes my days fuller.  Perhaps one of the ministers on this list will pass along a big THANK YOU to Grant Schnarr for a wonderful talk. 



All my love -  John’s M-I-L

No comments:

Post a Comment