a life well lived


Saturday, August 16, 2014

Uplifting evening, bang-up day 08/16/00



Peter called last night around 7:00 p.m. to see if he could stop over with pictures of Whitney's wedding.  I thanked him for the opportunity and explained that I was going to a gathering at Emily Jane Lemole's.  I have come a long way when a chance to see Peter – and see pictures of Whitney’s wedding - does not automatically override other plans.



There are two things I would like to share about that gathering last night.  One is very down to earth and sort of "unmentionable" but is important to share.  We left for Emily Jane's right after dinner and I did not get a chance to "visit" Lamb (my commode), which is unheard of.  Yet, I was so focused on what I was going to do and then being there that it not cause any problems.  Wonder of wonders! 



The other is how wonderful it was to sit in the sphere of that beautiful house chapel.  I was seated in the far corner, with my back to the wall and several rows of people in front of me and I did not feel the least bit claustrophobic, which - looking back at it - seems unimaginable.  I am extremely claustrophobic.  My only reality was the sphere of peace and love filling the chapel, not that I was tucked in a far corner, blocked by the wall on two sides of me and people on the other two, and had not made a bathroom pit stop since before supper.



Although I was not able to catch more that bits and pieces of what the woman who lead the devotional service said, I could hear the cadence of her words and look into the faces of the people around and across from me.  What an interesting group.  Directly in front of me and to my right were five or six husband & wife pairs. 



One of the things that touches me deeply with this discussion about evolving roles within our church is the diversity.  I do not recall anything quite like it.  There is a wonderful sense of openness to the Lord and a deep desire to be lead by Divine Light. 



The singing was heavenly.  It was fun for this "youngster"  to learn a new song.  At the end of the service, a young woman that I have known and loved since she was in high school showed how the Africans worship God, raising her arms about her head and swaying. I would have joined in, except they would have had to call an ambulance. 



As I told Emily Jane when we parted, I would not have missed it for anything. 



By the time we got home, I was very tired.  Peter was heading in the door as we drove up.  My heart sank.  I did not have the energy reserves to look through photos.  All I wanted to do was head up the wooden hill. 



Peter seemed to sense that - maybe it was my stumbling to my knees heading up the steps to the front door - and said he would check back later.  He is not available evenings - and he wants Elsa there, for some unknown reason, since both she and I get the strong sense she gets on his nerves, so workday mornings and afternoons are out.  He suggested 7:30 a.m. on Saturday.  Now, that would be something - this "lazy bones" doesn't get up until 9:00 a.m. at the earliest and I slept until 11:00 a.m. last week.



Last night's sense of weariness continued into today.  This afternoon I took a tumble in the kitchen.  My legs just gave out.  It was good luck that I landed with a great !plop! on a bag of recycled newspapers - had I fallen to my left instead of my right, I might have taken a flyer down the steps to the den.  Frightening thought.



John was down from his studio in a flash, full of reassurances and great bits of humor as he helped me to the big chair in the living room.  I was shaken and felt like I might burst into tears at any moment.  I still felt that way when Schatzi got home from work. 



It was scary! 



I had her take a look at my banged-up left arm.  I suffered mostly bruises and one nasty abrasion, which she cleaned off, disinfected and bandaged up.  I wish I had some of that wonderful liquid Arnica, which is almost miraculous in its healing powers.  If anyone out there knows where to get some, please tell me.



Am more than ready for bed and a good night's rest.   

Love to one & all - a spiritually uplifted, physically banged-up GRAMSTER




No comments:

Post a Comment