a life well lived


Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wireless fall preview catalogue 2000 08/13/00



Elsa jokes that her generation is stuck in time - so many shows she grew up with are shown daily on cable stations.   If we got our idea of time from the weekly television guide, she would walk up Alden Road to school instead of driving to work.

Now I know how she feels.  The newest Wireless catalogue has arrived and I feel like I am a time traveler.  There is a fondue pot right out of the '50s.   A record turntable that plays 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records.  (Do you young folks out there even know what a 45 RPM record is?)  A Burma Shave shaving kit, complete with mug, soap and brush.  A 1949 Ella Fitzgerald poster.  A model of the Memphis Belle.  A framed baseball card of Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.  Bubble Christmas lights – bubble Christmas lights! 

Seeing them all makes me feel like a kid of forty.

My favorite item is current.  Let me assure you that The Serenity Prayer has pulled me through some tough moments.  There is, however, a parody on it that made me laugh when I read it.  It is The Senility Prayer: 

God grant me the senility
to forget the people
I never liked anyway,

The good fortune
to run into the ones I do,

And the eyesight
to tell the difference.

Signed - wisely - ANONYMOUS

With that tweak of the spirit, am up the wooden hill and off to bed - Retro Grammie

No comments:

Post a Comment