a life well lived


Monday, January 19, 2015

Perks, parties & priorities 01/17/01



One of the good things to come out of my hospital stay - and there have been many good things - has been the perks I have received and I did not have to feel truly rotten in the first place.   

Because I was in the hospital for as long as I was, a physical therapist stops by and a home nurse.  Yesterday, one of the supervising nurses used Squirrel Haven as a meeting place with one of her "reports," who was scheduled to check me over.  I was Queen of the May!   Patty took my vitals and Kathy gave me a tip-to-toe "bath."  Steve, my physical therapist, stops by today.   

Feels good having all this attention and care without having to pay a stiff physical price first.

"Hank" Gholson brought my classmate Rachel Acton over for a visit yesterday afternoon.  They were literally a party ready to happen.  "Hank" brought a bottle of wine, yummy tidbits, crackers and cheese spread, salsa and chips, even their own pretty napkins.  I had to pass on the spread and salsa, which were too spicy, but enjoyed the other tidbits and lapped up the company.  It was a loverly afternoon.

A young friend just sent me a posting that mentioned my comments about the importance of older people maintaining their sense of dignity while receiving care.  You should be aware that a lot of older people are not aware of what is happening - I was not, at first - and just submit to it and feel bad without knowing why and feel bad about feeling bad when they are getting such "good" care.  I am blessed to be surrounded by family and friends who are aware and who make it a priority to help me develop and maintain the highest level of physical and emotional care possible. 

I am one lucky - and happy - lady.

May your day be merry and bright (right now, it is still dark out, since it is around 6:30 a.m.).

 Love to all - Grandma L'

No comments:

Post a Comment