a life well lived


Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lemon Bars & Roses 07/24/00


A 2nd posting!   Forgive me, I could not help myself.

Elsa drove John down to Philadelphia so that he could pick up some art
supplies at Pearl on South Street.   She brought me home a sweet surprise - a luscious lemon bar from The Pink Rose.

So many wonderful memories of The Pink Rose, just a block down from ultra  "hip" (I call it just plain weird) South Street yet a world away in its elegance and style.  Elsa and I would drop into the tiny pink and lace jewel box of a shop about once a year for one of their sublime pastries, served with a hot cup of tea - in a bone china tea cup.  I loved watching one of the young staff bring over our selections, served on a white doily on a dessert plate.  It satisfied all the senses. 

My days of indulging in their decadent Raspberry Chocolate Mousse Tart (with fresh raspberries, which would kill me now), luscious carrot cake, incredibly rich white chocolate cheesecake, to-die-for chocolate-dipped macaroons or intensely toothsome cream-filled pastry horns are long past.  Lemon bars are about all I can manage - thank goodness I love them and do not consider myself abused. 

I know I am old when one little pastry can bring back enough memories for a second posting.   

Nite nite and God bless - Grandma L'

No comments:

Post a Comment